open twenty four hours

. . . because that's when i'm up.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

A Different Star Wars Trilogy

well friends, this is it. the last star wars movie ever.
this "end of an era," of course, (like most things) gives me some variety of nostalgic pause in trilogy fashion:

Part the First:

when i was a sophomore in high school, i dated a guy who, for our purposes, is the star wars equivalent of a "trekkie." At 16, i had never seen any of the movies, and did not express much regret over this apparent "void" in my life.

before he would agree to term me his girlfriend, however, he sat me down, and forced me to watch the "old" star wars movies. i have to admit i did enjoy them. . .

. . . then i subsequently attended opening day (the first show we could get in to after school got out) of The phantom Menace. . .

three years later, my star wars trekkie and i were no longer together, though still good friends. And, because we were in college and feeling like time was no object, we attended the midnight showing of Attack of the Clones. . .

I am marginally disappointed I won't be there at midnight tonight for the Revenge of the Sith. . . though we are going ring shopping for my star wars trekkie's future fiance on tuesday. :)

i guess we all do take little pieces of each other everywhere.

Part the Second:

A couple weeks ago, while I was completing the final weeks of my undergraduate life at Butler University in Indianapolis, a Star Wars convention took place. . . in, ironically, the convention center. . . . which is very very near the Circle Center Mall . . . . which happened to be my place of (part-time) employment.

Since indianapolis is not large, when a crowd of 30,000 is expected, the city pretty much shuts down, and parking becomes unavailably impossible.

Not only was I late for work on both Saturday and Sunday as a result of this "convention," but i was also nearly run-over by faux storm troopers and darth vaders traipsing about the mall. (and, if i may, i will also send a shout out to the radical group of three dressed in ghostbusters uniforms. . . u know who you are).

i'm still not sure how i feel about the ability of people to dress in costume, whilst carrying costume guns through a mall crowded with people . . . and receive no questioning. This is still the Sept. 11th aftermath, is it not?

Part the Third:

Joe (regarding the midnight opening of Revenge of the Sith): there have been people waiting in line for a month, maybe more. imagine what you could accomplish in that time.
me: sad, but true
Joe: i suppose a 24 hours gal can appreciate the value of time
me: very true, very true. . .
Joe: i guess i could if i watched less tv

what are you wasting your time on? and, more importantly, is it worth it?

xo,

kellieannie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home